Accused of or charged with a DUI in Los Angeles?
Although a DUI is a serious offense capable of damaging your reputation, livelihood and more, this isn’t the time to sit back and give up. Remember, all those arrested are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
At Hurwitz Law Group our team of aggressive and experienced DUI attorneys
is ready and eager to fight in your corner, devising a tailored strategy crafted around the unique circumstances of your case and designed to increase the likelihood of a positive outcome in your favor.
DUI Defense in Los Angeles
We know that facing a DUI in LA can be a daunting and anxiety-provoking circumstance. In the unfortunate case that you find yourself in this precarious situation, reaching out to a qualified local DUI defense attorney in Los Angeles is a key first step in understanding your options and rights.
Contrary to popular belief, there are many aspects of a DUI case that may provide you with a strong defense that positions your case for a positive outcome. Given our extensive experience defending DUIs in and around LA, our legal team knows the ins and outs of the local legal system and what is necessary to aggressively and effectively fight to protect your reputation and license.
Acting FAST is Critical to Protecting your License with the DMV
In the state of California, those accused of a DUI face two cases: one in court and one with the DMV. Although both cases need to be prepared for and dealt with in a timely manner, the issue with the DMV is very time-sensitive. If not dealt with immediately, those accused of a DUI will face automatic suspension of their state-issued driver’s license. This is especially troublesome for those who rely on their car to get to work (for example).
At Hurwitz Law Group we work hard and fast to protect your ability to drive. Once retained, our team springs into action contacting the DMV on your behalf and letting them know we plan on vigorously fighting any driver’s license suspension.
In the event the DMV hearing results in a suspension, we handhold clients through the process of obtaining a “restricted” license so they can continue to use their vehicle for work and other necessities.
Why You Need an Experienced LA DUI Attorney
Many individuals charged with a DUI don’t fully understand the gravity of the situation they are in or just how important it is to seek legal counsel as soon as possible.
Did you Know that After Being Charged with a DUI in Los Angeles:
- Your temporary driver’s license is set to automatically suspend in 30 days
- You have just 10 days to request a DMV hearing to maintain your driving privileges
- That you could lose your license for up to three (3) years
- That you may be facing jail time
- That you could end up with a misdemeanor or felony on your permanent criminal record
- A criminal record can have lasting consequences, impacting everything from your ability to get employment to obtaining financing.
Don’t let a pending DUI case put your life on hold and your rights at risk. Reach out to Hurwitz Law Group today and get connected with a team of lawyers who will have your back. We understand the complicated and nuanced local Los Angeles legal system and can help you navigate these sometimes murky waters with ease.
Our firm will aggressively fight your case, leveraging our years of experience and attacking weaknessses and holes in the prosecution’s case to ensure the best possible outcome given the circumstance. As a results-oriented and client-focused firm, we work tirelessly on your behalf and will be there for you from start to finish.
What You Can Expect When Facing a DUI in Los Angeles
Under the state laws of California, DUIs are treated as a misdemeanor unless other enhancing factors, such as car accident injuring another, in which case you may be facing a felony DUI.
The Process for a Misdemeanor DUI in L.A.:
- License suspension beginning 30 days post-arrest
- Suspension of your license may be prevented with a successful DMV hearing
- A criminal proceeding that begins with an arraignment
- Entering a plea in court
- Trial (should you opt for a trial) - the outcome of which is determined by a jury
- Defense and strategies to position your case for a win. Often these strategies, such as proving your rights were violated, can be effective tools to negotiate a favorable plea bargain or to win your case.
- If convicted penalties include fines, court costs, jail, suspension of license, reduced driving privileges and/or treatment/education programs.
Enhancing Factors and DUI Felony
Los Angeles DUI laws are complex, with the penalties for a simple misdemeanor DUI quickly spiraling out of control when other “enhancing factors” are involved.
- Stricter penalties for exceedingly high blood alcohol levels
- Injury or death causes as a result of driving under the influence, with felony charges resulting in 1-5 years in state prison.
- Fourth DUI offense felony charges
- Refusal to take a breath or blood test is a separate crime carrying its own penalties
Additional charges may also be imposed for traffic violations, disturbing the peace, etc.
Los Angeles DUI Penalties Per Level of Charge
*Presuming the DUI did not result in injury or death*
FIRST DUI OFFENSE (minimum penalties)
- Estimate $1800 in fines and other mandated costs
- 48 hours in jail (can be waived but extends your license suspension by 90-days)
- Suspension of driver’s license- absolute minimum is 90 days for any criminal charges and 30 days suspension from the DMV. However, suspensions can easily be 1-year or longer.
- Mandated 3-month alcohol treatment program costing around $500
Maximum penalties can increase the aforementioned resulting in fees and fines up to $3600, six months of additional jail time and extended suspension of your license as well as a 30-day impounding of your vehicle and installation of an interlock device at your expense.
SECOND DUI OFFENSE (minimum penalties)
- Same fines and costs as with a first offense
- 96 hours in jail
- Suspension of your license (minimum of one full year).
- Restricted driving for an additional 2-years post-suspension
- Court-mandated long-term alcohol treatment (18 or 30-month program, est. $1800)
- Mandated installation of an interlock device in your vehicle at your expense
Maximum penalties can potentially increase your total costs in fees and fines to $4000, extend jail time for up to 1-year and increase the suspension of your license for up to 2-years. Your vehicle may also be impounded for 30-days at your expense.
THIRD+ DUI OFFENSE (minimum penalties)
- Same fines and costs as with a first offense
- 120 days in jail for your 3rd offense and 180 days in jail for a 4th offense
- Revocation of driver’s license. Minimum of 3-4 years.
- Long-term alcohol treatment including a 30-mong program at approximately $1800
Maximum penalties for third or greater DUI offenses can increase total fees and fines upwards of $18,000, up to 12-16 months in jail, suspension of driver’s license for 2-years plus an additional 2-years restricted driving, and impounding of the vehicle for 90 days (or total loss of vehicle forfeiting it to the state).
Can you Win your DUI Case?
Although DUI cases can be difficult to win, hiring the right attorneys is the first step towards winning your case. Even when strong evidence points to your guilt, experienced DUI lawyers can often find loopholes and weaknesses in the prosecuting attorney’s case against you. Even “hard proof” such as breath tests don’t always hold up (or even make it to) court.
In circumstances where a case can’t be “won” outright, a good attorney will advocate and fight hard for reduced penalties and charges.
Defense Strategies May Include:
- Identification of discrepancies from the arresting officer(s)
- Comparative witness testimony
- Contradictory audio or video evidence
- Violations of your rights or due process
- Alternative explanations
- Misuse of field breathalyzers or sobriety tests
- Lack of calibration, bad data or malfunctions of the testing device or method
- Inadequate certification or licensing from lab technicians
- And more…
Favorable Outcomes May Include:
- Dropped charges
- Dismissed case
- Reduced charges
- Reduced penalties and/or fees
Time is Critical with DUI Charges - Reach out today
Don’t let a DUI ruin your life. Our talented attorneys are here to help. Reach out today for a no-obligation consultation and find out why so many individuals choose us to help them through this difficult time.
Hurwitz Law Group, Inc.
6565 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Related Articles: Drunk Driving Lawyer Santa Monica CA
, Drunk Driving Lawyer Studio City CA
, Probation Violation Lawyer Pasadena CA
, Probation Violation Lawyer Santa Monica CA
, Defense Attorney Santa Monica CA
, Defense Attorney Studio City CA
, Drug Attorney Los Angeles CA
, Drug Attorney Pasadena CA
, DUI Defense Attorney Beverly Hills CA
, Sex Crime Attorney Studio City CA