Beverly Hills Dog Bite Lawyer
We all think of dogs as “man’s best friend” because they of course can be very friendly, loveable animals; and this notion of dog-friendliness is one of the main reasons why most people overlook the potential risks associated with dog bite injuries. There are certain scenarios in which dog bite injuries can be even more debilitating than car accidents, which is why it’s so crucial to know what to do when you’re a dog bite victim and when it’s time to reach out to a Beverly Hills Dog Bite Lawyer like the specialists at Hurwitz Law Group.
As experienced dog bite attorneys based in Beverly Hills, we fully understand how dog bite injuries can range drastically and how most dog owners and dog bite victims are generally unaware of the comprehensive scope of dog bite laws. Our legal team supports all types of dog bite injuries and cases, so you can rest assured that you or your loved one will ultimately obtain their full and rightful compensation for their dog bite injuries and property damage when our specialists represent your best legal interests.
Below is our comprehensive overview detailing everything that dog bite victims need to know when it comes to understanding this complicated niche of personal injury law and fully recovering from a dog attack.
What To Do After A Dog Bite In Beverly Hills, California?
California just so happens to be one of the most dangerous states for dog bite injuries in recent years, and there are around 4.5 million reported dog bite injuries within the United States each year, according to The Insurance Information Institute.
Just like any other type of injury, dog bite incidents require victims to take immediate steps towards treatment and improving their overall likelihood of obtaining their full and rightful compensation for their subsequent injuries.
The following is a list of steps that you should take when you or your child has become a dog bite victim in Beverly Hills or other parts of California:
- Seek Medical Attention: Dog attacks can sometimes be serious enough to the point that you’ll need to immediately call 911 and have an ambulance arrive on the scene. Getting professional medical attention as quickly as possible will ultimately put victims in a much better position to obtain the proper treatment that they need, and this is especially the case for children.
- Find The Dog Owner: Getting the contact information of dog owners immediately after a dog bite injury occurs is always a crucial part of developing your future dog bite claim. There are instances in which a dog bite occurs without the dog owner present, and in this situation, you should try to see if anyone in the area recognizes the dog. This will require you to take a picture of the dog, if possible, to help you later identify the dog’s owner.
- Call The Local Police: You should always report your dog bite incident to the police, and the Beverly Hills police department tends to be pretty efficient when it comes to arriving on dog bite injury scenes and developing a comprehensive police report that will become an official record of the dog attack. If the police report assigns or insinuates that the dog owner was at fault for the injuries, this will only help you and your dog bite lawyer as you’re developing your case and preparing negotiations with an insurance company.
- Talk To Witnesses And Obtain Their Contact Information: Just like needing the information of the dog owner, you should also get contact information from any people who witnessed the dog attack. This can be absolutely critical towards improving your dog bite personal injury case, particularly if the dog owner accuses you of provoking their dog.
- Reach Out To An Experienced Beverly Hills Dog Bite Lawyer For A Free Consultation: Once your injuries have stabilized, it’s time to speak with an experienced dog bite lawyer about your best course for legal action. It’s also good to quickly get verifications about the intricacies of California’s dog bite laws, and how you should approach your own insurance company. The dog bite injury attorneys at our Beverly Hills law firm will support you through a free case evaluation to thoroughly discuss your dog bite incident and how to move forward.
California’s Dog Bite Law: Strict Liability
California’s dog bite laws are based upon a strict liability basis, which essentially means that dog owners are liable for any injuries that their pets cause to others. There are some states that have more lenient laws if a dog hasn’t had any dog bite incidents in the past; however, in California, the dog owner is still accountable regardless of any previous attacks or aggressive behavior tendencies.
One of the only exceptions to this strict liability basis is when a dog bite victim actually provoked the dog in some way, and this is of course the defense of dog owners in many of these personal injury law scenarios.
California Civil Code § 3342:
The owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog while in a public space or lawfully in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.
Liability For Dog Bites In California
In California, dog owners are strictly liable for a dog attack victim’s medical expenses. This means that you won’t necessarily have to fully prove that the dog owner acted out negligently to obtain your rightful medical bill compensation, but you will have to simply prove that the dog owner was responsible for the dog at the time of the incident.
But of course, dog bite injuries tend to go so much further than just medical bills, including lost income, permanent disfigurement, mental pain and suffering, and many other less tangible damages. When it comes to these types of damages, you and your dog bite lawyer will have to prove the following to recover compensation:
- The dog owner acted negligently in how they handled their dog, a common example being that they let them be off-leash.
- The dog owner had previous knowledge of the dog’s propensity towards aggression and violence.
Resolving these personal injury situations with insurance companies can many times be a lot easier said than done, and if insurance claims aren’t adequate in terms of fully resolving the matter then you’ll need to file a personal injury claim within California civil court. This doesn’t necessarily mean that your claim will go to court, and our experienced dog bite lawyers will continue to negotiate with the at-fault party and their insurance companies to better ensure that you ultimately obtain the full amount of compensation to recover from your dog bite injuries and subsequent losses.
Common Dog Bite Injuries
There are undoubtedly a wide variety of potential injuries that can result from a dog attack, and our Beverly Hills dog bite lawyers have listed some of the most common examples of dog bite injuries below:
- Physical Wounds: This includes bruised/broken bones, lacerations, severed ligaments/tendons, puncture wounds, torn muscle tissue, and a lot more. It’s always critical to seek medical attention when a dog bite has punctured through your skin because this is where infection risks come into play.
- Infections: Infections actually are one of the most common complications alongside physical wounds in terms of dog bite injuries, and this is because all sorts of different bacteria can be transferred within a dog bite. When a dog bite punctures a victim’s skin, it’s typically really difficult to thoroughly clean to the wound’s roots. This can lead to serious infections and potentially even extended hospital time for ongoing treatment.
- Disfigurement: Permanent disfigurement is unfortunately another common dog bite injury. An example of this would be a small child experiencing permanent facial scarring due to a serious dog bite, and some people lose toes, fingers, and even full limbs due to a dog attack. Amputations and disfigurement can lead to many other issues, including psychological damages. There are also some instances in which reconstructive surgery is needed for a dog bite victim to fully recover from the attack.
- Psychological Injuries: Although psychological injuries are sometimes overlooked in a dog bite case, they are many times very serious. Many dogs bite victims will suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which can include a whole variety of dangerous symptoms.
Contact A Beverly Hills Dog Bite Injury Attorney
The Hurwitz Law Group has helped many different accident victims obtain their financial compensation, and this includes dog/animal attack victims. You can obtain compensation for any of your sustained injuries within a dog bite incident, including any related injuries beyond the actual biting like being knocked to the ground.
Recovering your full and maximum compensation for all of your subsequent damages can play a major role in how you or your loved one gets back up on their feet again and regains their life.
Contact us online or call us at 323-287-9849 to get in touch with our legal team and let us know how our experienced Beverly Hills dog bite lawyer in Brian Hurwitz can support you and your dog bite injury claims.