Criminal Defense Attorney in Los Angeles, California
In many ways, a misdemeanor or felony conviction brings with it more than just a permanent mark on your record. It can affect nearly every aspect of your life, from your gun ownership rights under the Second Amendment to future employment opportunities and everything in between.
Regardless of the crime you’ve been charged with, these are all reasons why finding the right criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles is of paramount importance. Everyone deserves their fair day in court and Hurwitz Law Group fights as hard as possible to make that happen.
Why Criminal Defense in California Matters
One of the most important things to understand about criminal defense cases in California in particular has to do with the state’s Three Strikes sentencing law. Originally enacted in 1994, it was designed to require ANY defendant convicted of a new felony to be sentenced to state prison for twice the term otherwise associated with the crime if they had suffered one prior conviction, or “one strike.” If a defendant was unlucky enough to have two strikes on their record, they would receive a state prison term of 25 years to life.
As of 2012, third strike offenders are only charged with 25 years to life if the new felony is a serious or violent felony – but that doesn’t make this situation any less important.
Regardless of your current charge, Hurwitz Law Group will fight for your rights and guarantee that you receive the fair day in court that you deserve. Attorney Brian Hurwitz is experienced in all types of criminal charges, including but not limited to:
- Misdemeanor. Misdemeanors typically include non-violent crimes like trespassing, petty theft, vandalism and disorderly conduct. In California, misdemeanors carry a maximum possible jail sentence of 364 days along with negligible fees.
- Examples of misdemeanors include: domestic violence, battery, drug possession, trespassing, petty theft, vandalism, and disorderly conduct.
- Felony. Felonies, more serious crimes, can be either violent or non-violent and carry with them hefty fines (potentially in the excess of thousands of dollars) along with potential prison sentences greater than a year.
- Examples of Felonies include: Robbery, Burglary, Drug Sales, Grand Theft, Murder.
- Wobbler. These are crimes that can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor, depending on the circumstance – particularly with the presence of certain aggravated factors – and may include the following: Criminal Threats, Domestic Violence, child endangerment, assault with a deadly weapon, certain sex crimes, child pornography, forgery, grand theft, hit and run, and others.
- DUI. Also referred to as Driving Under the Influence. According to the most recent information on DUI statistics available from the DMV on DUI in California, it is reported that an estimated 23% of all California DUI arrests occur in Los Angeles County alone.
- Various DUI charges include both misdemeanor and felony DUIs as well as vehicular manslaughter.
Hurwitz Law Group accepts new clients in the Los Angeles area
Regardless of whether you’ve been arrested and charged with a felony, a misdemeanor or a DUI, you deserve a fair day in court, with an attorney that properly presents the evidence of your case in pursuit of an appropriate outcome for the circumstances. Attorney Brian Hurwitz regularly acts as an advocate in cases that are likely quite similar to yours. Similarly, if your case involves extraordinary circumstances, attorney Hurwitz is able to provide sound legal advice about how to move forward in cases where evidence is perhaps both substantive and compelling.
For more information about how a driven, aggressive criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles can do for your California criminal charge in more detail, don’t delay – contact Hurwitz Law Group today at 323-244-4147 for more information or to request a free consultation.